Steel & Metals
Bearings play a vital role in steelmaking—from conveyors in the storage yard to the mills and casters in metalworking, rolling, and refining processes.
Steelmaking facilities present a uniquely tough environment for bearings. Besides exposure to metal dust, water, and heat, bearings face heavy loads and intense vibration, both extremely low and high speeds, and rapid acceleration/deceleration.
To secure stable operation and higher productivity in this challenging environment, NSK employs advanced bearing technologies based on extensive R&D from many different angles, including design, materials, and lubrication.
We have decades of experience working closely with some of the biggest steelmakers globally to achieve top-class reliability and long life in steel industry applications. NSK offers a comprehensive lineup for the steel & metals industry–from bearings standardized by ISO to specialized, NSK-exclusive high-performance products.
Recognizing the modern needs of the dynamic steel industry, NSK provides value-added solutions with lower environmental impact.
In the rolling process, red-hot steel is squeezed between rollers to make it longer and thinner. This crucial step greatly influences the quality of the final product. The four-row tapered roller bearings typically used on both sides of the main rollers support heavy loads while exposed to severe conditions with cooling water and mill scale.
NSK engineers have worked diligently to extend the life of these bearings over the years. In the 1970's, NSK developed the world’s first sealed four-row tapered roller bearings equipped with an oil seal to prevent the entry of water and scale, greatly extending life.
Later, NSK released special grease for “Sealed-Clean” bearings and substantially increased load ratings in the 1990's with enhancements to internal design. We also constantly pursued material improvements, developing scale-resistant materials, and in recent years, materials resistant to cooling water.
NSK continues to build on years of experience in close collaboration with steelmakers to provide the very highest in reliability.
For Sintering Machines
Sealed-Clean Bearings for Sintering Pallets
“Sealed-Clean” bearings help prevent grease from leaking onto surrounding equipment and save on maintenance costs.
- Excellent resistance to dirt and debris with specially designed contact seals.
- Pre-packed grease for high-temperature, high-pressure conditions improves sealing performance.
- Easy handling and mounting with a one-piece design using a fastening ring on the inner ring.
For Continuous Casting Machines
Roller Bearings for Guide Rolls of Continuous Casting Machines (CCMs)
NSK combines years of experience with cutting-edge technology in specialized roller bearings for CCM guide rolls. These include:
- Split cylindrical roller bearing units for easy bearing replacement in segmented drive rolls
- Cylindrical roller bearings for free-side use with an aligning ring to prevent differential slip and misalignment
- SWR bearings with dramatically improved wear resistance
- Long-life, high-performance cylindrical roller bearings with improved handling.
For Rolling Mills
Extra-Capacity Sealed-Clean™ Four-Row Tapered Roller Bearings
Achieve even higher load capacity with improvements that build upon NSK’s world-first sealed roll neck bearings.
- Optimized internal specifications and a compact seal provide increased load capacity.
- The enhanced seal and seal holder allow for easier mounting and dismounting.
- A new intermediate seal helps prevent water entry from negative pressure.
- Super-TF steel material improves life under contaminated lubrication.
Long-Life Four-Row Sealed Tapered Roller Bearings with Water-Resistant Grease
Ensure long life even in harsh lubrication conditions where water enters bearings.
- Improved seal design and higher load capacity
- Improved lubrication with newly water-resistant grease
- Over 2x longer life than conventional bearings
For Finishing Machines
Backup Roll Unit Bearings for Tension Levelers
Innovative roll unit bearings provide both low-torque performance and high sealing capabilities.
- An improved seal structure helps ensure low torque.
- Combined labyrinth and side seals achieve excellent sealing performance.
- Prepacked grease offers superior durability and water resistance for longer maintenance-free operation.