In the steel industry, bearings can be found in a vast range of plant and equipment that is used in both upstream and downstream processes: from the storage yard for raw materials to the steelmaking, rolling and refining processes. All kinds of bearings are used in this plant and equipment.
The operational environment for these bearings is unique to steelmaking, comprising steel dust, water and heat. In addition, the bearings may have to cope with heavy loads and vibration shock, operational speeds ranging from extremely slow through to high, coupled with rapid acceleration and deceleration. This makes for a demanding operational environment that is not found in other applications.
NSK aims to make a positive contribution to improving operational stability and productivity. These are issues crucial to the steel industry, which is representative of the industry which manufactures production equipment. NSK achieves this aim by
- the application of high-level bearing design technologies
- ongoing planning, development and R & D from many different perspectives, including bearing technologies of materials, lubrication, and analysis.
Over many years, this has led to the implementation of strategies for attaining the company's fundamental goal: producing bearings with a long operating life and high reliability. NSK offers a comprehensive lineup of bearings for the steel industry, from standard bearings meeting ISO standards through to its own independently developed, high-capacity specialized bearings.
NSK is now also responding to the need for high added-value products and an environmentally friendly approach in the steel industry.
NSK Experience & Technology
In the dynamic steelmaking environment, rolling is a typical process. In the rolling process, red-hot steel is squeezed between rollers, making it longer and thinner. This is a crucial process that greatly influences the quality of the final product. On both sides of the main rollers, four-row tapered roller bearings are generally used to cope with the heavy loads and the exposure to cooling water and mill scale. The steelmaking environment in general is a good example of the range of conditions in which bearings must be used.
NSK has worked to increase the life expectancy of these four-row tapered roller bearings. In the 1970's the company developed, as a world first, Sealed-Clean™ Four-Row Tapered Roller Bearings, complete with oil-sealing equipment to prevent the intrusion of water and mill scale. This greatly extended the life of roller bearings. Subsequently, NSK released special greases for the Sealed-Clean™ bearings. In the 1990's the company substantially improved the load rating of bearings through an internal design improvement, and it also developed new scale-resistant materials. In recent years NSK has also developed new materials with resistance to cooling water processes.
NSK aims to be a company that enjoys trust and a good reputation from its customers, and it will continue to proceed with customer needs uppermost in mind.
To find more titles of our catalogs, please follow the link below.Downloads (Catalogs and CAD drawings)
Long-Life, optimized Cylindrical Roller Bearings for the Free Side of a Continuous Casting Machine Guide Roll
Improved handling,Long-Life, optimized Cylindrical Roller Bearings for the Free Side of a Continuous Casting Machine Guide Roll (suitable for overseas roll structures).
Long-life four-row sealed tapered roller bearings with water-resistant grease
We have realized the long life of the work roll bearings used in the harsh lubrication condition such as when water enters the bearing.
- Improved Design With Seal, Higher Load Capacity.
- Improved Lubrication-Newly Developed Water-Resistant Grease.
- Over Double the Service Life compare to conventional bearing.
High-performance SNN Series plummer blocks are highly rigid and easy to handle. They contain NSK's tough spherical roller bearings, which have high load capacity, low temperature rise and high-strength cages.
NSK successfully developed the NSKHPS series of spherical roller bearings, which provides a longer service life and higher limiting speeds, by employing leading-edge materials and technology in combination with years of cultivated experience and technical know-how.
- Bearing life increased by twofold (increased dynamic load rating by 25%)
- Limiting speed increased by 20%.
Full-complement cylindrical roller bearings for crane sheaves that are equipped with tight seals intended to prevent intrusion of foreign matter.
- Contact seals provide improved sealing capability to prevent the intrusion of foreign matter and water.
- Large radial and axial capacity is retained for high capacity performance.
- Phosphate coating provides improved corrosion resistance.
- Grease can be replenished through the use of inner ring lubrication holes.
- The number of bearing peripheral parts required for mounting the bearing has been reduced through the use of snap rings on the outer ring.
NSK, the first company in the world to offer sealed roll neck bearings, now offers the Extra-Capacity Sealed-Clean series of roll neck bearings.
- Newly designed internal specifications and a new compact seal result in a high-capacity design that provides increased bearing capacity.
- The new main seal and seal holder are designed for easier mounting and dismounting.
- The new bore seal prevents the buildup of negative pressure as a measure against water infiltration.
- Bearing material is made from super-TF steel, which contributes to enhanced bearing life under conditions of contaminated lubrication.
Molded-Oil bearings are lubricated with oil-impregnated solid material, which is contained within the bearing. Oil slowly seeping from this solid lubricant material provides ample lubrication to the bearing for extended periods.
- Designed to prevent water and other liquids from washing out the lubricating oil while preventing dust and other contaminants from getting inside the bearing.
- Low-torque achieved by packing the bearing with oil-impregnated solid material after bearing surfaces have undergone a special surface treatment.
- Protect the working environment by eliminating stray oil mist or leakage.
- High-speed capability enabled through optimal composition of the solid lubricant material and methods used for the molding process.
Through the application of NSK's innovative concepts, the EM series bearing has a greater number of larger rollers than that of a conventional bearing. Furthermore, the optimally designed one-piece cage offers high rigidity and low-wear performance.
EW Series Bearing
- Bearing life increased by approximately twofold.
- Noise and vibration levels reduced by 60 to 70 percent.
- Cage strength has been increased by one and a half to twofold.
- Limiting speed increased by 10 to 25 percent.
EM Series Bearing
- Bearing life increased by approximately twofold.
- Noise and vibration levels reduced by 40 to 50 percent.
- Cage strength has been dramatically improved.
This innovative roll unit bearing provides both low-torque performance and high-sealing capability
- A newly developed seal structure helps to ensure low-torque performance.
- The seal structure, which consists of a labyrinth seal and a side seal, ensures excellent sealing performance.
- Prepacked with grease that offers superior durability and water resistance to ensure longer, maintenance-free performance.
NSK developed a series(S-Type)of tough, sealed-clean roller bearings for chain conveyors that must operate under severe conditions They feature newly designed seals (Japanese Utility Model pending) with exceptional effectiveness. These seals, combined with specially formulated grease, assure long life with no maintenance, even at high temperatures and in the presence of water and scale Also, the inner and outer rings are made of case-hardened steel to make them resistant to shock loads for rugged operating conditions, S-Type chain-conveyor bearings are the solution to maintenance problems.
This series of the Sealed-Clean bearing helps prevent grease from leaking onto surrounding equipment, and helps reduce maintenance costs.
- Specially designed contact seal offers excellent sealing performance against dirt and debris.
- Packed with grease that has been developed for high-temperature and high-pressure operating conditions, for high sealing performance.
- One-piece design with fastening ring on the inner ring facilitates easier handling and mounting.
Three types of roller bearings have been developed for use in CCM guide rolls by fusing NSK's years of experience with leading-edge technology.
- Split cylindrical roller bearing unit for easy bearing replacement.
- Cylindrical roller bearing with aligning ring for preventing differential slip and misalignment.(Free Side)
- SWR bearing for dramatically improved wear resistance.