- NSK Group's Environmental Management
- Environment Policy
- Product's lifecycle and the NSK's business activities on the environment
- NSK Group Environmental Structure
- Compliance and Environmental Risk Control
- Environmental Education
- NSK Biodiversity Guidelines
NSK Group's Environmental Management
NSK Environmental Policy
Our commitment to environmental management forms the basis of our existence and our pursuits. We are determined to take independent and assertive actions, aiming to establish sustainable societies.
1. Prevention of Global Warming
To actively support efforts to prevent global warming by developing environmentally friendly manufacturing processes and technologies.
2. Reduction of Negative Environmental Impact
To establish and continually improve environmental management systems and systems for the management of chemical substances in products; to comply with regulations, to prevent pollution, and to reduce environmental impact
3. Contribution to Societies
To be actively involved in the social development of local communities where we operate by promoting our global corporate activities, to create affluent societies that is in harmony with the environment, and to promote the biodiversity conservation.
Environmental Code of Conduct
- 1. To promote the development of manufacturing technologies through the use of our Tribology (friction control and lubrication technologies) in order to create environmentally-oriented products.
- 2. To ensure energy and resource conservation within all spheres of our business operations.
- 3. To reform environmental management organizations by improving operational systems and clarifying chains of responsibility.
- 4. To more aggressively tackle environmental protection by setting and adhering to high internal standards, in addition to complying with laws, ordinances, and agreements.
- 5. To reduce environmental impact by promoting the switch from chemical substances that adversely affect the environment to environmentally friendly alternative substances, waste reduction, and recycling.
- 6. To encourage employees to understand our environmental policies and to ensure an environmental mindset in the company through education and internal communications.
- 7. To contribute to societies by conducting social environmental activities and addressing issues related to the preservation of ecosystems and human health.
- 8. To actively communicate with environmental authorities and local communities in order to receive insightful and constructive opinions, and to disclose the ongoing status of our environmental management activities to the public.
Established December 12, 1997
Revised June 25, 2015
Product's lifecycle and the NSK's business activities on the environment
NSK products are integral components in a wide range of machinery, from ordinary home appliances to automobiles, trains, aircraft and rockets, as well as industrial robots, machine tools and more. In addition to reducing the direct environmental impact of manufacturing and other activities, NSK Group seeks to develop products that help conserve resources and energy when used in conjunction with customers' machinery in various social settings, after they have been delivered and incorporated as parts. Consideration is also given to developing products that are easy to recycle at the end-of-life disposal stage. The overriding goal is to maximize environmental benefits while reducing the impact of products in every stage of the product lifecycle.
Product Design and Development Stage
Utilization Stage and Waste and Recycling Stages
Bearings, NSK's flagship product, are largely composed of steel materials. At the end of their useful life, bearings, along with the machines in which they are installed, are converted to scrap, to be recycled as new steel materials. This characteristic makes bearings superior products in terms of recyclability. To improve this attribute further and reduce environmental load, NSK is taking steps to eliminate the trace amounts of heavy metals found in coated plating for components and using biodegradable grease, among other steps.
NSK Group Environmental Structure
The Global Environment Protection Committee, which is the NSK Group's highest decision-making body for environmental issues, administers the NSK Group's environmental management system. Actual environmental management duties are carried out chiefly by the Global Environment Department and several subcommittees. At each site, plant managers and officers at affiliates and subsidiaries advance environmental management, serving as general managers of environmental management and product chemical management.
Figure 1. NSK Group Environmental Structure
Table 1. Subcommittees
|Subcommittee||Purpose (policy determination and progress confirmation)|
|Energy Conservation Subcommittee||To set policy and confirm progress for energy-saving activities and reducing greenhouse gas emissions|
|Waste Reduction Subcommittee||To promote application of the 3Rs (reduce, reuse, and recycle)|
|Environmentally Harmful Substance Reduction Subcommittee||To reduce the quantity of hazardous chemical substances used in manufacturing processes|
|Environmental Product Subcommittee||To promote product development and design that contributes to the conservation of energy and resources|
|Resource Conservation Subcommittee||To reduce consumption of primary and secondary materials through more efficient use|
|Logistics Subcommittee||To ascertain and promote the reduction of energy required for transportation|
Environmental Voluntary Action Plan
The NSK Group has been conducting activities in accord with its Environmental Voluntary Action Plan , aiming to achieve targets set for fiscal 2015, and to realize the purpose of the NSK Environmental Policy.
Compliance and Environmental Risk Control
The NSK Group has set and thoroughly complies with its own environmental standards. Though based on government laws and regulations, the Group's standards are actually stricter.
External auditing & internal auditing
To ensure that environmental management is carried out thoroughly and constantly improved, each site undergoes internal auditing based on ISO 14001-the international standard for environmental management systems-and external auditing by external certification organizations. Furthermore, the Global Environment Department carries out regular environmental risk audits and attempts to reduce environmental risks by taking necessary countermeasures.
In order to further strengthen environmental protection initiatives and increase their effectiveness, the most important tasks are raising the awareness of every single employee and implementing measures based on sound knowledge.
The NSK Group undertakes awareness-raising activities by providing information on its environmental initiatives and also provides environmental training at every rank of the organization, from new employees to senior management
- Compliance with environmental laws and regulations
- Raising environmental awareness
- Acquisition of environmental qualifications
- Environmentally friendly design, green purchasing and procurement
Acquiring ISO 14001 Certification
The NSK Group strives to regularly review its environmental management activities and make continuous improvements based on the international standard ISO 14001 for environmental management. It is the Group's policy to obtain certification for Group companies manufacturing NSK-brand products as well as Group companies (manufacturing and distribution) in which NSK has at least a 50% equity stake, within three years from commercial production.
As of Nov. 2015, 64 sites have acquired certification.
NSK Biodiversity Guidelines
The NSK Group recognizes the importance of biodiversity, and understands the relationship between our business activities and the ecosystem. We aim to reduce our impact on the environment by creating systems and initiatives that ensure biodiversity is conserved.
1. Research and Development
We will contribute to the conservation of biodiversity by developing products that save energy and resources.
2. Procurement and Purchasing
We will contribute to the conservation of biodiversity throughout the supply chain when procuring main materials, sub-materials, and packing/packing materials.
We will promote the purchase of the environmentally-friendly products, and consider the conservation of biodiversity in product selection criteria.
3. Manufacturing and Logistics
We will minimize the impact of our production on biodiversity by reducing consumption of energy and resources, and emission of environmentally harmful substances.
4. Plant and Office Grounds
We will consider the impact on the ecosystem when acquiring land for our places of business and during greening initiatives.
5. Social Contribution Activities
We will perform social contribution initiatives as a member of international society, and value our collaboration with public and private institutions.
We will actively disclose information on biodiversity-related initiatives to persons both inside and outside the company.
We will heighten employee awareness of biodiversity-related issues, and constantly work to improve the quality and efficiency of initiatives.
Established October 5, 2010